Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Guilin

And.... the rest of the vacation.
And I forgot something funny in my last post. All the time, Mom would tell me that someone was taking a picture of me or already did. I don't know what's up with the Chinese, but they either love Americans or me (we all know they love me, clearly). Some guys even took pictures with Jacob and I. Like what is this?! I am not some famous person. It's nice to be back in America where no one is randomly taking pictures of me :)






Elephant Tusk Hill. It looks like an elephant!!


Jacob, Nicky (our tour guide), and I walked up 325 steps to get this view. I realized during this trip that I am really out of shape. I may be skinny, but that doesn't mean I'm like physically fit. My thighs were so sore from this. You have no idea. Also, this picture is not blurry. That's how it really looks with all the humidity (and it's like 80% humidity over there. ew)


This is Nicky. He was so funny. When we got off the plane, he was waiting for us with the "Rex Garn Mabey" paper and he told me that he thought I was a movie star. Supposedly, I look like Rachel McAdams and Zooey Deschanel. I look like neither, but whatever, I guess I'll take that as a compliment. He was very fluent (which was so nice) and he would always ask me about America. Also, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube aren't allowed in China, but he figured out a way to work around that and get a facebook. Love it


The rice terraces. This was another one of those moments when I realized I am not fit. Walking up stairs is not my forte. But it was such an amazing view and it's crazy that farmers work on these every day. You would think that with China producing a bunch of our goods they would come up with a better way to plant rice. But they don't. It's done by hand. Which I would hate doing but I guess it's just another job.


This was taken in the Long Hair Village (obviously not the Chinese name) In their culture, the women are the heads of the house and make the decisions. The women only cut their hair 3 times in their whole lives - once at 18, then at marriage, and then when they have their first child. They put all this hair into buns of top of their heads and I just so happened to wear my signature bun that day. And according to them, I was married and had children, just because of my bun. Bad day to wear a bun I guess.


Freaky bird man. These birds are used to catch fish and they come back to that little stick. Impressive


Some guy fishing in the Li River

1 comment:

  1. How do you know they were taking pictures of you because they were admiring you/thought you looked like a movie star, etc.? You don't think they were taking a picture to show their friends..."Look at these goofy Americans I saw on the street."

    ReplyDelete